Library Cards Policy
Revised July 24, 2012
Library card eligibility
Every resident of Wethersfield is eligible to receive a library card from the Wethersfield Library at no charge.
Individuals applying for a library card need to furnish some proof of residency. If they are unable to do so, the library card will be mailed to them to verify their Wethersfield address.
Library cards for children
1. Children do not need to have a parent present or obtain a parent’s signature in order to receive a library card.
2. As a courtesy, the parents of children who are issued library cards will be notified by mail that their children have received cards. Parents have the option of canceling their children’s library cards if they choose to do so.
3. Parents are responsible for any materials that their children borrow.
4. If a child is in a shared custody situation, and the child’s primary residence is not Wethersfield, the child should obtain a library card for general use from the library in the town of residence. The Wethersfield Library will issue a Wethersfield Library card to the child for use only at the Wethersfield Library.
Library card holder responsibility
In registering for a library card, individuals agree to:
1. Bring materials back on time and in good condition.
2. Pay fines for materials returned after the due date.
3. Pay for materials that have been lost of damaged.
4. Notify the Library if their postal or email address or telephone number changes or if their card is lost or stolen.
Borrowers are expected to bring their library cards with them to the Library when they wish to borrow materials or use the computers.
Items on hold (reserve) for a borrower must be checked out on that borrower’s library card.
People who pick up materials for another borrower on a regular basis, should use that borrower’s library card to check out those materials.
As a participant in the ConnectiCard reciprocal borrowing program, the Wethersfield honors library cards from all Connecticut public libraries.
1. A one time courtesy loan will be offered to non-Wethersfield Connecticut residents who do not have a card from their hometown library.
2. The non-resident’s borrower privilege will expire at the same time as the due date of the items.
3. For future loans, the non-resident must use his/her hometown library card.
Library cards for temporary residents
1. People who are residing in Wethersfield temporarily may be issued a temporary library card.
2. The library card will be dated to expire when the person plans to leave town.
3. People requesting temporary library cards must register their permanent address with the Library.
4. Temporary residents whose permanent address is another town in Connecticut must obtain a library card from their hometown library and use that card at the Wethersfield Library.
5. Temporary residents whose permanent address is out of state will be asked to show identification.
Approved by the Library Board
April 29, 2003
Revised May 23, 2006
Revised July 28, 2009
Revised July 24, 2012