Gifts and Donations Policy
Revised September 25, 2012
The Wethersfield Library gratefully accepts all gifts, donations, endowments and bequests which are appropriate to its mission. The Wethersfield Library Board has adopted the following guidelines regarding mission-appropriate gifts.
Guidelines for Acceptance of Gifts
1. Gifts will be evaluated by the Library Director for their suitability for inclusion in the permanent collection or if they might serve the Library in some other manner.
2. Any restrictions on gifts, whether donations of monies, books, periodicals, audio-visual materials or art work, must be submitted in writing and approved by the Library Board. Restricted monetary gifts will be accepted on the condition that the specific use requested is consistent with the goals and objectives of the Library.
3. The Library will not appraise or estimate the value of gift donations. The responsibility of such assessment lies with the owner.
4. The Library Director will be authorized to request the donor to sign a waiver form relinquishing ownership.
Types of Gifts
1. Books and other materials
a. The Library welcomes gifts of books and other materials. The Library is not able to return donated items; nor can the Library accept any item unless it is an outright gift.
b. Items will be added to the collection in accordance with the selection policy of the Library. Materials will be reviewed using the same criteria as materials that are purchased.
c. Materials accepted become the sole property of the Wethersfield Library and will be utilized at the discretion of the Library Director, including addition to the collection, withdrawal from the collection, sale or disposal.
d. Those materials that are added to the collection will be classified and shelved according to standard procedures. The Library reserves the right to decide when a gift added to the collection will be withdrawn.
e. Materials not needed, but in good condition and still of value, may be offered to another organization or given to the Friends of the Library for its book sales.
2. Monetary gifts
a. As a general rule, unrestricted monetary gifts will be deposited in the Library Legacy Fund. Exceptions will be approved by the Library Board.
b. Stocks or bonds and insurance policies will be accepted at the discretion of the Library Board. Expenditures are governed by the Short-Term Funds Policy and/or the Endowment Policy.
c. Endowments will be accepted and will be utilized at the discretion of the Library Board. See the Endowment Policy for additional information.
d. Bequests will be accepted and will be utilized at the discretion of the Library Board and in accordance with any other relevant Library Board Policies related thereto.
3. Other gifts
a. Personal property, art objects, including wall art, antiques and collectibles, may be accepted at the discretion of the Library Director, with the approval of the Library Board, with the understanding that they may be sold, given away, or otherwise disposed of. Any proceeds derived from such disposal may be used by the Library in a way consistent with the original gift and in accordance with the relevant policies related thereto.
b. Real property can only be accepted with consent of the majority of the Library Board.
Approved by the Library Board
October 27, 2009
Revised February 22, 2011
Revised April 24, 2012
Revised September 25, 2012